10 Fashion Trends for Promotional Apparel & Accessories in 2014
By Dean Schwartz: If you’re a tad surprised that a custom promotional products company would put out a blog about fashion trends, then you simply don’t know SOBO Concepts. Sure, we crank out some of the basics – t-shirts, pens, notepads – but we do far more than that and we do it with SWAG.
In particular, when it comes to wearable items, we take pride in creating wearable fashion, and not just your run-of-the-mill chunky t-shirt with a screen print slapped on the front. Seriously – you do not need another crappy logo t-shirt. With that in mind, here are 10 fashion trends we’re eyeing for 2014, and we can help you design your custom promotional clothing with the design cue that suits you.
1. Tartan Plaid – It’s no longer just for grunge rockers or lumberjacks – and it’s now hitting brands like Marc Jacobs. Not only that, but the more ‘traditional’ plaid brands, like Brooks Brothers and Burberry, are shifting into tartan plaid products, as well. For now, plaid is here to stay.
2. Camouflage (Camo) – No, Duck Dynasty isn’t only in the news because of comments made by its main characters – it’s also largely responsible for the cultural revival of camo! According to JC Penney, camo is the print of the season. Don’t believe it? Even top-level performance brands, such as Nike, Under Armour and Lululemon, are going the camo route with their popular anti-microbial, moisture wicking and UV protecting fabrics.
3. Crew-Neck Sweatshirts – Hanes doesn’t have a corner on this market any longer, and there’s more to crew-neck sweatshirts than just mass production in a variety of colors. Now, we’re seeing more and more customized orders with funny statements or trendy graphics. The good news for you is that we bring SWAG with a sense of humor, so we’re excited about this trend! (More on that later in our list).
4. Made in the USA – American Apparel is leading this trend toward the red, white and blue, with emerging gingham prints (the kissing cousin of plaid, if you will) to showcase Old Glory’s fine color scheme.
5. Relaxed Fit Women’s Gear – From tees and French terry pull-overs to Henleys, dolman tees, relaxed fit tanks and crew tees, women’s wear is headed the laid back route. The good news for custom promotional product outfits like us? This trend and the fabrics that drive it will allow for some really SWAG-tastic overdyed blends and tri-blends.
6. Bling Bling – It’s not just a rap song! In fact, ‘bling’ is still in with brands such as Chloe, Valentino and Louis Vuitton, and they have added shiny embellishments to several of their collections. SOBO can help you achieve that same look with the use of appliqués and sublimation embellishment techniques. Sweet!
7. Quirky Prints – Dainty, feminine prints and polka dots made their mark in fashion in 2013, but bigger, bolder and louder versions of each appear to be the big things in 2014, with anything from flowers to – you guessed it – cats. Need help bringing that quirkiness out of yourself? That’s what the SOBO SWAG team is for!
8. Logos – If you looked at automobile emblems in the early 90s and compared them to those we see today, you’d be blown away by how much they’ve grown. And the same thing has happened in fashion. Not only are logos getting bigger, but they’re showing up everywhere – not just on shirts, but on dresses, skirts and even gloves. Remember, however, this trend works for brands that have spent millions making
9. Bermuda Shorts – Some are saying they’re back in style, but did they ever really go out of style? We didn’t think so, either. But for what it’s worth, Bermuda shorts are back, and several of the above-mentioned SWAGGING techniques can be utilized here to give yours a unique look that will stand out from the crowd.
10. Distressed Fabrics – We’re hoping that 2014 brings you less stress. As for your clothes and accessories? More stress, please. The novelty of items looking like they’ve been worn, beaten up and endured a few life experiences is still here, and growing. SOBO has a wide range of distressing techniques and vendor partners to give you the modern look you’re looking for – without having to blow the bank.
We know a New Year is a time for a fresh start and a chance to get an early jump on some big ideas. If you’re looking to revolutionize your SWAG in 2014, or just run away from the ‘same old, same old,’ then you’re in the right spot. We don’t do boring. 888.752.0432.